Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

F.A.Q. #3

Here's more Q&A from that student survey about comic books that I participated in a while back . . .

Q: Describe how you acquire your comic books (i.e. library, personal purchase, sharing with friends).

A: Since I'm a "Silver Age" geek, I usually buy at comic-book conventions. But I'm interested in what we call "reading" copies, not mint-condition copies. I don't mind physical imperfections if they will bring the price down. Recently at a convention, I found a dealer who had four boxes of vintage Silver Age books that were all coverless, yellowed and tattered for a dollar each! I bought 37 of them, and I wish I' bought more. I got coverless 10-cent "Batmans," coverless early "Brave and the Bolds," coverless vintage Marvels, coverless TV and movie adaptations such as "Mr. Ed," "The Munsters," "Three Stooges" and "Ski Party," and on and on. To a guy like me, that was a HUGE score. I never buy from the Internet.

Q: Do you spend a lot of personal resource (i.e. time and money) or have you made comic-book fandom a particular part of your life (i.e. creating, studying, teaching, selling comics).

A: I don't spend a lot of money on comics any more. There was a time, when the older books I crave were more available, that I could find them in my local comic shop, so I was buying two or three a week. But now, it's strictly catch-as-catch-can. I do spend a lot of time reading comics. I also write about them as part of my job. (My columns are about pop culture with a "retro" twist, so I'll write about comics, sci-fi, horror films, classic rock, classic TV, etc.) So on any given day, comics are probably on my mind and in my life.

Q: Describe the response your fandom generated from people outside this sphere. Did you have friends or family that read comics? Did you receive any outright negative reaction?

A: I have a lot of comic books friends -- the kind I can call up and tell all about, for instance, the 37 coverless Silver Age books I got for a buck apiece recently. But to most people, we're just "comic book geeks." I don't believe I get a particularly negative reaction from non-geeks. Just good-hearted teasing. When my nephew (who is 18) and I take part in comics-related discussions, my brother (his father) will say along the lines of: "Are you guys going to put on your Spock ears now?"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the hell is this!

11:46 PM, October 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home