Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

POLLEN AND PINE HILL

Wish me luck, Dear Reader. Friday night is "go" time. I took tomorrow (Thursday) off so's I can drive to South Jersey and help set up the stage. It'll be me, Brinie, Nephew, Maestro, maybe Jazzy and maybe Karch.

All this pollen gave me a sore throat for about three days. I was worried that it was a cold and would carry into the gig, but it faded. When I got to my brother's for our final Mad Jack rehearsal, he and Nephew were leaf-blowing. Usually, I join in on whatever chores are going on at my brother's, but in this case, I sat inside watching television like a wuss rather than lend a hand. I wasn't going to play the hero with six nights to go until a gig at which I will sing for about four and a quarter hours with a few breaks here and there. I'm smarter than I look. Thank God.

On Saturday, me 'n' Brinie actually played a gig -- well, one song. What happened was, The Burners' guitarist and drummer, Bad Bobby and Jazzy respectively, are in a quartet called Sordid Past. They were playing a gig at the Pine Hill Tavern in Pine Hill, plus it was Mrs. Bad Bobby's birthday. Me 'n' Brinie were invited to play a song. Sordid Past gave us a lo-o-ong list of songs to pick from. We chose The Beatles' "I Saw Her Standing There," because Mad Jack is doing it on Friday and we've been practicing the hell out of it. I strapped on one of Bad Bobby's guitars. He said, "Dirty or clean?" meaning the sound. Of course, I chose "dirty." We did OK. It was a lot of fun. Maestro showed up too, meaning all of The Burners and half of Mad Jack were on hand. (We didn't hand out any of our gig postcards, though. Brinie said that would have been terrible band etiquette.)

Later in the night, a young student of Bad Bobby's played sax on "Mustang Sally." The kid was great! Me, Brinie and Maestro all want him to join us Friday on "Brown Sugar." I don't know if Brinie or Maestro asked Bad Bobby, or if Bad Bobby asked the kid. But that would be sweet. This kid could NAIL Bobby Keys.

Anyway, when I get back, I'll let you know all about what happened in Gloucester City.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Marky Mark. Hope your gig went good. Give me a buzz tonight or tomorrow night if you get a chance. I'd love to hear all about.

Are your fingernails still black?

10:01 PM, May 14, 2007  
Blogger Mark Voger said...

No, I borrowed my niece's nail polish remover again, so I didn't have to break out the sandpaper and gasoline.

10:54 PM, May 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home