Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Monday, May 29, 2006

RECYCLING TIP

I just heard a new-to-me recycling tip for anyone out there who cares the tiniest bit about the "e" word: the Environment.

My sister-in-law in Burlington County said residents there were asked to flatten plastic bottles (such as water bottles or soda bottles) before putting them in large recycling cans. This helps the recycling process somehow, but also has a practical benefit: the flattened bottles take up much less room in the recycling cans, making less truck trips necessary, making less gasoline use necessary, etc.

This may sound silly at first. But my sister-in-law had a large recycling can overflowing with bottles. After she flattened the bottles, the can was only a THIRD full. Multiply that by thousands of homes, and you may see the light.

Ah, you may say, but HOW did she flatten them? Three simple steps: (1.) She put on thick shoes; (2.) She laid the bottles on the ground; (3.) She stepped on them until they were flat.

Ah, you may say, but that sounds like a lot of trouble. I'm way too busy to do all that.

I THOUGHT so.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm all over it. It's actually a good one. We have a bin that has to be carried down to the bigger can, that than gets dragged out to the street only twice a month. as we have way too many steps to get there, that could make for less trips and/or spillage from the bin outside my back door. I'll do it.

Good tips are always helptul, thanks your sis-in-law Heloise for me. Seriously though. All that stumping can be good for gettin' yer ya ya's out, too.

6:26 PM, May 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after checking through some of the post I realized it's new to me.
Nonetheless, I'm definitely delighted I found it and I'll be bookmarking and checking back frequently!
click - more, http://www.

fisantekraal.co.za/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=ShirleyBu

10:54 PM, March 12, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home