Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Monday, May 14, 2007

LAST NIGHT'S "SOPRANOS"

WHOA!

Last night's episode of "The Sopranos" was probably the most jaw-dropping ever. My heart was pounding out of my chest the whole time.

When Tony put his hand over Christopher's beak, I kept saying, "Don't let go ... don't let go ..." Isn't that weird? A girl I know, who is a devout Christian, commented that the car accident provided a "good opportunity" for Tony. It's so weird how we root for the bad guy on this show. I kept saying to people, "Didja see how many times that car rolled? All because Chrissy was high!"

When Tony started confessing to murders in a session with Dr. Melfi, and then it wound up being a dream, everybody in my viewing group immediately started screaming profanities at the screen. You see, we initially thought the entire accident was a dream. When we realized that just the Melfi session was a dream, we calmed down.

A friend commented that Carm's panicked response to the news on the phone was fine acting, whereas Kelly's scream and dropped phone was OBVIOUS acting. I don't want to denegrate the younger actress, but Edie Falco IS in a class by herself.

The Paulie's mom/aunt thing was a nice counterpoint to the Chrissy thing. (No, I don't subscribe to the theory that Chase is now whacking characters wholesale.) Paulie's great line: "I ordered 500 Mass cards!"

People -- myself included -- have been expecting, or at least hoping for, a big bang at the end of the series. I think we just saw the big bang. For all intents and purposes, I think we just saw the "farewell" episode of "The Sopranos," and that the final three will trail off from there. Think back. The first time we saw Chrissy -- in Season 1, Episode 1 -- he was driving Tony and saying something along the lines of: "My mom says I'm too sick to be driving today." The kid was never second-to-the-boss material. So there's a definite full-circle feeling here. But complicated. Like life.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that Paulie. "I will never forget the disrespect, T......she suffered too". That 500 prayer card line was our fave of the night too. And that look of shock and utter disgust on his face while spewing out that line! (with the whites of his bulging eyes perfectly matching the whites of his wing tips.) Priceless.

4:31 PM, May 16, 2007  
Blogger Mark Voger said...

I can't believe there's only three left. What will we have to look forward to? "Dancing With the Stars"?

8:56 PM, May 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll pass on that.

4:29 PM, May 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home