Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Sunday, September 30, 2007

BACK FROM HELL

I just made it through seven days and seven nights of fever.

I got up to 102.8 degrees at one point. I'm a 49-year-old guy who is thick around the middle. I was wondering if I was gonna die. Well, I wondered all KINDS of things, because I was delirious most of the time.

Also, I'm a BIG BABY whenever I have a fever. I usually keep my problems to myself, but last week, if someone said, "How are you?" I'd say, "I'm delirious with fever." If I knew my current temperature, I would tell them. No one wanted to hear it, but I was a BIG, DELIRIOUS BABY.

I worked at the office anyway. PAGE X and CELEBS must go on! Luckily, I didn't have any big extra projects last week. (I'm making up for that THIS week.) I got it down to a routine where I would come in at 1 and catch about five more-or-less lucid hours. I was loopy, and dripping with sweat, but I could work. People would say, "What are you doing here? You should go to a doctor." I'd say, "If Kathy were alive, she'd never permit this. But what can I do? I'm frickin' delirious!"

After those five lucid hours, I would start to feel chilly, and then I'd start to shiver. Once I got the shakes, it was time to get home pronto. There, I would have hallicinatory daymares. I would stress about what I had to do the next day in order to make my deadlines. I could only sleep after popping a couple of "PM" pain relievers. It was not a restful sleep, but it WAS a sleep.

I told my brother I might not make the Mad Jack and Scream practices Friday and Saturday. The deal I made was if I still had a fever on Friday morning, I'd stay home. I went to sleep on Thursday with a 101.05 temperature. In the middle of the night, my pillow-case felt like it was soaked with a garden hose. A few hours later, I felt almost normal for the first time. "It's over," I thought. But that morning, I had 100.2.

Well, heck, 100.2 was a Jelly Krimpet compared to what I'd just been through. So I fudged a little on my "deal," drove to South Jersey and made both rehearsals -- sitting in a chair, singing at half-volume, with a beach towel around my neck.

Sorry I've been such a baby. But, as with all my Web columns, this is just between you and me, and I know you care about me.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark you're not a baby. Those are really high numbers you were runin'. For anyone. Super high. Please, please, please, promise me (or youself) next time it's THAT high, you will go to a doc, or ER. You probably needed antibiotics.

You must have a strong constitution, because sounds like your body naturally sweated it out, hence the soaked pillowcase. Our bodies are equipped to do that, but not always prepared.

Glad you're feeling better. Please eat lots of oranges, juices, drink alot of FLUIDS (you're dehydrated now), and get plenty of rest. You push yourself really hard, but when your body gets sick, it's a message that you need to step back a take care of YOUSELF for a while. Rest is good, watch your movies & eat Tropical Dots.

But please, take good care of yourself. I'm too far away to deilver chicken soup, but always have some for the soul if you need it. You know that, right bro?

love you,

Gailly

11:48 AM, October 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that you should have seen a doctor! No one likes having to go to the doctor, but really, when you're THAT sick, you should!

Please promise us, your readers, that you WILL seek medical attention the next time you're that sick...

(If you still don't feel quite up to par, you could consider seeing a doctor NOW, just to make sure you're really over whatever you had!)

1:45 PM, October 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't act like an old man. When your sick get to a doctor already. Baby...

8:04 PM, October 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delirium is not a good sign. People have fevers for a reason. Your body is telling you something. And it ain't "go to work"! I'm glad the fever broke, but being feverish for a long period of time wears on the body and the heart, so be careful, listen to the other bloggers, and don't go that long again without seeing your doctor.

10:10 PM, October 11, 2007  
Blogger Mark Voger said...

Thank you and God bless you for your kind concern. Hindsight is 20/20, er, 98.6 -- I now know what an idiot I was. A friend told me I could have had brain damage from seven days of fever. She made me promise her I would get a checkup after my Nov. 2 gig.

6:47 PM, October 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home