Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Friday, August 17, 2007

LAST POST UNTIL 8/26

(Program note: This will be my last Web column -- OK, blog -- until Aug. 26.)

Our next gig -- the Mad Jack/Scream double-bill -- is continuing to shape up. It's looking like Friday, Nov. 2, in Gloucester City, but it's not booked quite yet.

Mad Jack, staunchly a four-piece, has broken tradition and added a fifth member. I'll just call him The Kid. He's 19 years old. I'm the old man in Mad Jack at 49, which makes me 30 years older than The Kid. What are we going to talk about? I'm gonna have to buy an iPhone and start watching "Heroes." All joshing aside, The Kid is really terrific, and he's done a lot of work on behalf of we four sagging, slowing, dimming midlife-crisis victims.

Since the guys are all in South Jersey and I'm here, they sometimes have weeknight "satellite" practices without me. My brother played me some of last night's practice. They were working on "Green Grass and High Tides" by the Outlaws. They sounded sweet. It's been a dream of Brinie's and mine to do that song all our playing lives!

When we were high school kids, you were in one of either two camps: "Freebird" or "Green Grass and High Tides." Both were long Southern-rock jams with lots of screeching guitar, but the similarities ended there. Me 'n' Brinie were firmly in the "Green Grass and High Tides" camp. When I'd be listening to, say, WMMR, and those spooky opening notes would come on, I would immediately put life on hold.

It's not an easy song to do. You need three guitarists, and they've gotta be sharp. The Kid is going to make it happen for us. Hell, I might even wear a cowboy hat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home