Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, December 07, 2006

20 YEARS

This Tuesday will be our 20th wedding anniversary. Kathy and I were married on Dec. 12, 1986, by the mayor of Manasquan at the Manasquan Inlet, just a few blocks south from where we had our first date.

It's also the anniversary of our debut as a writer-photographer team.

It happened like this: I'd been at the Press for nearly four years. I was a staff artist, but I'd been doing more and more writing. (That was my background; I have a degree in journalism and I'd worked as a stringer for the Gloucester County Times in Woodbury and a writer/designer for a string of weeklies in Philadelphia.)

Kathy and I booked a trip to Puerto la Cruz, Venezuela, for our honeymoon. Almost as an afterthought, I began to take notes for a travel story. Kathy was always an avid photographer, and so as she was snapping our honeymoon photos, I asked her to compose a few all-purpose shots that could accompany my travel story. Her photos were really terrific; it was the first time I noticed what an eye she had.

Little did we know that this was the beginning of a fruitful, rewarding career for both of us. I always say Kathy became "my" photographer because I was such a workaholic and she wanted us to spend more time together.

Almost every year on Dec. 12, Kathy and I visited the Manasquan Inlet to mark our anniversary. Ten years ago, we renewed our vows, with the mayor again officiating. I'll be there again this year -- just me, my memories and the sound of the surf.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home