Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

THANKS, JIMBO

At the Big Apple Con earlier this month, I ran into Jim Salicrup, the former Marvel Comics editor who helmed the best-selling Spider-Man edition of all time, Todd McFarlane's "Spider-Man" No. 1, in 1990. I'd earlier profiled Jim on PAGE X, accompanied with a photo by Kathy.

Jim got to know Kathy and I during our time covering the comic book beat. One grueling day, we were seated next to Jim, and he got a kick out of Kathy's running commentary of the human parade that is a comic book convention. Kathy's chops-busting sense of humor was on full display. And since Kathy was definitely NOT a comic book geek (and therefore possessed not a shred of the reverence we geeks hold for the medium), Jim found Kathy's humor all the more refreshing. From that day on, when Kathy and I would run into Jim from time to time, we would always pause for a few laughs.

The first time I saw Jim after Kathy died, he told me he'd written a blog about her, and even received messages of sympathy from some readers. But for some reason, I wasn't able to access that blog for a long time. Since then, I've finally read it, and I'd like to share some of it with you.

He titled it "Broken Flowers for Kathy Voglesong." Following is an excerpt.

"I can't tell you how hard that (the news of Kathy's death) hit me. The waves of sadness that suddenly overcame me were surprisingly powerful. ... despite not knowing her very well, the few times I had spent with her at Big Apple and Hawthorne comicbook conventions were very memorable. She enjoyed teasing me, and I loved teasing her right back. Beyond being a very beautiful woman, she was obviously very smart and talented with a wicked sense of humor. Seeing her and Mark at the shows was always great fun. I miss her so much already. ... To Mark, what can I possibly say? Obviously, it's not wise to dwell on the fact that she's gone, better to appreciate how incredibly lucky you both were to have shared so much together for so long. The love you two shared was always obvious and inspiring."

Thanks, Jimbo.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. It's always both amazing and sad in a way, to read what others have to say about knowing and missing Kathy. When it's people I don't even know, yet they seem to "get her", her spirit, her personality, her sense of humor, it's awesome. It makes me smile. And it's sad at the same time. I miss her wicked sense of humor. And more.

Nice tribute.

12:36 PM, December 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home