Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

"THE BRAVE ONE" REVIEWED

BLOGGER'S NOTE: To avoid spoilers, don't read this column. To avoid a lousy movie, DO read this column.

I will always love Jodie Foster for her amazing, flawless Clarice Starling in "Silence of the Lambs," but I don't know if I'd outright call myself a Jodie fan. I wouldn't necessarily seek out a Foster flick. "The Brave One" just happened to be a mutually agreeable film for Marge-in-Law and myself one recent afternoon.

It's a bleak, cynical film. There's not a laugh to be found. Throughout, you're being asked to swallow implausibilities dry.

After the setup (and believe me, it FEELS like a setup) -- in which Foster is beaten within an inch of her life by thugs in Central Park, and her fiance is killed -- it's Revenge Time for Jodie.

In about one minute, with zero underworld connections or savvy, Jodie scores an unlicensed firearm. Without looking for trouble, she stumbles onto a subway terrorizing and a fatal shooting at a bodega. Before long, our girl is regularly blasting away at the bad guys.

The implausibilities soon become even harder to swallow. In her role as a radio host, Jodie begins interviewing the very detective who is investigating HER shootings, played by Terrence Howard. AND -- are you seated? -- Terrence is starting to have feelings for her.

The most ludicrous is saved for the last. Terrence, throwing his ethics out the window, looks the other way as Jodie pumps lead into the final baddie. He then orders Jodie to shoot him in the shoulder, as part of a cover-up he cooks up on the spot.

My idea for a sequel has Jodie and Terrence continue their killing spree, bringing ultimate justice to baddies who probably would have languished in the system. But every time they bag a baddie, Jodie must shoot off another of the detective's body parts -- an ear, a toe, a testicle. The title would be "The Brave Two: This Time it's Personal."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ATTENTION: Perogi making day will be Nov 7 at AA's. We need all of our experienced hands. Please wear old light colors.

8:00 PM, October 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops made a mistake already. Its Nov 10

8:01 PM, October 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

darn it. I could make it only on the 23rd or 24th for Perogi making day.

any chance that could happen?

(sorry Marky I know your blog is NOT a bulletin board)

about the movie - thanks for saving me 9 bucks. I'll wait for it to hit HBO, and probably still ignore it there, too. Too bad. Jodie Foster usually makes better choices.............

11:57 AM, October 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know Gail. I'll have to check with the girls. They picked the date. I'll run it by them. MAAAAAAAAAARK.........how about you?

6:30 PM, October 11, 2007  
Blogger Mark Voger said...

I'll be there unless I'm bleeding to death.

10:56 PM, October 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home