Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Sunday, October 07, 2007

"DEATH PROOF" REVIEWED

I'm boycotting the "Death Proof" and "Planet Terror" DVDs. I will plunk down my hard-earned if and when they put out a DVD titled "Grindhouse" that duplicates the experience I had in the movie theater -- the fake trailers, the two movies cut as they were theatrically, etc.

To me, this splitting-up of "Grindhouse" into two DVD sets is like saying: "All you people who got up off your (posteriors) to see 'Grindhouse,' (expletive) you. We're catering to the people who DIDN'T support 'Grindhouse' at the box office. Since they stayed away from the theaters in droves, we're putting it out on DVD the way THEY apparently would have wanted it. AND we'll make more bucks while we're at it!"

Just 'coz I'm boycotting the "Death Proof" DVD at the cash register, doesn't mean I won't watch it if a work friend lends it to me.

It was great to see "Death Proof" again -- but it just made me miss the whole "Grindhouse" experience. As for the longer, re-cut "Death Proof" -- since I went to see "Grindhouse" three out of the three weekends that it played theatrically, it was very easy for me to spot the additional scenes. Besides the lap dance and a sequence that shows Stuntman Mike initially scoping out the Zoe Bell posse, there's not too much here that's different -- except that there's even MORE foot fetish stuff in this cut.

Honesty, the cool-lookin' metal DVD box is the whole reason to buy this thing.

Amazingly, there's no commentary with the movie. The second disc is, to me, just padding. You feel like you need a shower after all those self-congratulatory "documentaries." Which is all DVD extras have devolved into: quick-cut "docs" of talking heads, scenes from the movies and an overall creepy atmosphere of self-congratulation -- like a party that you get to watch through a window, but you're not REALLY invited to.

Oh, AND that you're paying for.

It's just non-stop QUENTIN TARANTINO IS A GENIUS ... KURT RUSSELL IS A LEGEND ... I WROTE THE PART FOR ZOE BELL ... ALL THE STUNT DRIVERS REALLY DELIVERED ...

We peons are tired of it, you self-absorbed Hollywood back-slappers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home