Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

IT'S A MIGHTY LONG WAY

This Friday, I'll be returning to the land of icy beer and spicy crabs for yet another Burners gig, this time with our (newly renamed) guitar-based quartet, Mad Jack, as openers. It'll be about three and a half hours of music; my brother and I are in both bands.

I did finally buy that "midlife crisis toy," the wireless unit for my guitar. I set off a little feedback here and there, but it's been working out quite well. It's weird -- and wonderful -- not having any chords to step over. I can spin in a circle or do anything I want, without worrying about getting tangled up in wires. As promised, Karch and Brinie tuned up my 1979 B.C. Rich Mockingbird. They even polished it. I have to think of a way to thank them.

Tonight, I caught "The Return of Dracula" at the Paramount Theatre in Asbury Park. I saw it last Tuesday as well, at the Ocean Township Historical Museum. Seeing it on a screen in the dark with an audience was a revelation. So much so that I have just designated Francis Lederer as my second-favorite screen Dracula. (He just leapt over former No. 2 Christopher Lee, but he's still beneath Bela Lugosi, natch.) Lederer is so evil and charming. Seek out this movie!

I recently caught "Amazon Women of the Moon," which was pretty terrible except for three parodies: the title segment (which deftly captures color '50s sci-fi); an "Invisible Man" parody (with a hilarious turn by Ed Begley Jr.) and a parody of those unintentionally funny '30s public-service films ("Cocaine Fiends," "Reefer Madness"), with Paul Bartell and Carrie Fisher. If you can fast-forward through the garbage segments in order to watch just these, it would be worth your while.

Lindenwold, here I come.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Horror-ween! We saw an interesting one the other night on IFC channel - House of 1000 Corpses written & directed by Rob Zombie. Cool use of rock music, blood, fear, psychedelic colors and effects. Seemed like a modern horror - just wondering if you ever saw it. It was awesome!Looking for the sequel - Hell's Rejects.

11:48 AM, November 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Corpses" is my movie! Rob is my boy! Sheri Moon is my dream! Captain Spaulding is my hero! "Rejects" rocks! Allmans and Skynyrd on the soundtrack! Mary Woronov and Michael Berryman and Deborah Van Valkenberg and the nerd dude from "Just Shoot Me!" Buck Owens lives!

10:05 PM, November 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home